Skokie, IL Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry refers to any dental work that improves the appearance of a person's teeth and smile. Many dentists refer to themselves as "cosmetic dentists" for purposes of marketing, regardless of their specific education or training. The American Dental Association does NOT recognize cosmetic dentistry as a specialty area of dentistry. Dr. Wendy Shorr believes that there is nothing more attractive than a healthy, natural tooth. When dentistry is needed to improve appearance, she will guide you to the most effective treatment to restore esthetics and function. Her philosophy is that All Dentistry should be Cosmetic. Whether you are having a single filling or a full arch of custom-stained veneers, your dentistry will blend seamlessly!
Cosmetic dental treatments can:
- Change the size, shape, and alignment of teeth.
- Fill in unattractive spaces between teeth.
- Improve or correct bites.
- Lighten or brighten the color of teeth.
- Repair decayed, broken, cracked, or chipped teeth.
- Replace missing teeth.
- Replace old, unattractive dental treatments.
Remember, your smile speaks before you even say a word!
If you have teeth that are chipped, discolored, unevenly spaced or have exposed roots due to receding gums, bonding can help to restore both your dental health and your smile. After preparing your tooth surface, we place a composite resin that matches your natural color. An LED light is used to harden the surface, which we then shape and polish to a high luster, giving you a beautiful tooth.
Your teeth are constantly under attack by materials that can cause them to discolor and develop stains. As a result of the food we eat, tobacco smoke, tea and coffee, root canal treatment, prescription drugs, and even normal aging, many of us have teeth that are stained and discolored. The good news is that tooth whitening can give your smile a second chance. Whitening not only lightens the overall shade of your teeth, it can also
remove many localized stains and discolorations quickly and without any discomfort.
If you are looking for a whiter, brighter smile, we can help you choose the best, most cost-effective option:
- Over-the-Counter Products that are in the form of strips, pastes and gels. These products are safe and the least expensive to use. However, our patients have reported only slight shade improvements.
- Home Whitening with Custom Trays that are made to fit your teeth exactly. These trays are worn with a whitening gel overnight or for shorter periods of time during the day. This is our most popular option because it's quick, easy, affordable and very effective!!!
- In-Office Whitening which involves placing a protective coating over the gums and using strong peroxide gel with a light or laser to activate. Recent studies have shown that the light and lasers used have no whitening effect. All of the whitening comes from the gel. This treatment is the most expensive and gives a good "jump-start", but many patients opt to continue with home custom trays.
- KOR Whitening - Deep Bleaching™ System which uses a combination of in-office and home whitening which to remove even the most difficult tetracycline stains.
Since teeth whitening only works on natural tooth enamel, it is important to evaluate if it is necessary to replace any discolored fillings or crowns. Replacement of any restorations should be done after bleaching so they will match the newly bleached teeth. For all types of whitening, we recommend touch-up reapplication once or twice a year to maintain your new brighter smile. If stains and discolorations are causing your smile to turn into a frown, talk to us about whitening during your next dental appointment.
A porcelain veneer is very thin piece of durable porcelain that is bonded onto the facial surface (outside) of the tooth. Porcelain veneers can be used to change the shape, color, and size of the teeth. They are often an excellent alternative to crowns, bonding, and in some cases, orthodontic treatment. When placed correctly, veneers will blend seamlessly with the tooth and will not be visible even if the gum recedes in the future. Veneers can completely reshape your teeth and smile. They are very durable and will last many years, giving you a beautiful long lasting smile.
Dr. Shorr works very closely with her lab technician to create your smile. He is present on the day the veneers are prepared to photograph and design your custom shade. He is also available on the day they are bonded to do any additional custom shading, if needed. This onsite collaboration allows Dr. Shorr to veneer only the teeth that need veneers, rather than automatically treating 8-10 teeth so they all match.
Orthodontics is the study and treatment of malocclusions (improper bites), which are usually the result of irregular tooth size, disproportionate jaw relationships or a combination of both. Orthodontics can focus on moving the teeth only or on modifying facial growth and development as well. While most people associate orthodontics with braces, typically for children and teens, newer, virtually invisible treatments have prompted more adults to seek treatment. Often, orthodontic treatment is used in conjunction with veneers, implants or other restorations to achieve maximum esthetics and function. We work closely with our orthodontic specialists to create the ideal plan to give you a healthy, more attractive smile.
In many instances a tooth can reshaped to improve its appearance. A sandpaper disc or strip is used to remove small amounts of enamel from a tooth. Eliminating small chips, adjusting irregular shapes, and smoothing out uneven lengths can give you a new smile in minutes. This procedure is inexpensive, quick and painless!